IHS VGPD Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter?

5 posters

Go down

Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter? Empty Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter?

Post  0rphanedpho Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:24 pm

This is where i think these should go into consideration (trading/barter system, inventory, save system) plz post ur own ideas or collaborations with others. Thx.

my own input:
I think that there should be an inventory system, not a big one, but there should be one. personally, for horror/action games, i think that the inventory should be small, forcing the player to make choices between what they want (like a gun with limited ammo) or what would be best in the long run (like a crowbar, which doesn't run on ammo)

for Save system, Omar and I talked about it, and we agreed that a save system where you could only save at certain spots was great. but theres a catch; in order to save, you must pay resources, so that way the player must choose whether to risk moving foward, or give up their own things for a save.

and i dont know if trading/bartering was wanted, but if it were implemented, i would suggest implementing one where there is no currency, but to barter with items found in stages or around the world (whichever we're doing) in order to obtain other items.

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter? Empty Re: Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter?

Post  Daedalus_ Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 am

I'm thinking of maybe having it like it is in dayz; you start out with a basic, very small pack, and you find bigger packs scattered around the map. The only catch is that bigger packs slow you down more.

Daedalus_

Back to top Go down

Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter? Empty Re: Inventory System, Save system, trading/barter?

Post  Steven Yu <>< Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 pm

what about checkpoints instead of paying to save?
like so when u save in between two checkpoints
u keep whatevers in ur inventory
but u start out back at the earlier checkpoint

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  0rphanedpho Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Steven Yu <>< wrote:what about checkpoints instead of paying to save?
like so when u save in between two checkpoints
u keep whatevers in ur inventory
but u start out back at the earlier checkpoint
Well see, if we used that sort of system, farming would be common, and the player wouldnt fear death the way i imagine them doing if there were just checkpoints scattered everywhere at regular intervals.

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Yu <>< Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:51 pm

oh..yeah i see what u mean

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  0rphanedpho Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Daedalus_ wrote:I'm thinking of maybe having it like it is in dayz; you start out with a basic, very small pack, and you find bigger packs scattered around the map. The only catch is that bigger packs slow you down more.
That actually seems legit. It makes one have to choose whether to carry EVERYTHING and move super slow or carry only essentials while moving fast. I like it, makes one think and compromise, but we'll have to make it so that even the medium pack slows one down while not giving too much space, this way one can't just choose the most balanced, best pack out of all of them. They need drawbacks.

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Post  Daedalus_ Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:35 am

0rphanedpho wrote:
Daedalus_ wrote:I'm thinking of maybe having it like it is in dayz; you start out with a basic, very small pack, and you find bigger packs scattered around the map. The only catch is that bigger packs slow you down more.
That actually seems legit. It makes one have to choose whether to carry EVERYTHING and move super slow or carry only essentials while moving fast. I like it, makes one think and compromise, but we'll have to make it so that even the medium pack slows one down while not giving too much space, this way one can't just choose the most balanced, best pack out of all of them. They need drawbacks.

Well, it works like this. Like other video games, a light pack is basically a "scout". High dexterity, high movement speed, less supplies/firepower. A medium pack would be a soldier or the like. Medium support, medium movement speed. A large pack would be a "tank" (person). Slow movement speed, more supplies/firepower.

Daedalus_

Back to top Go down

Post  0rphanedpho Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Daedalus_ wrote:
0rphanedpho wrote:

Well, it works like this. Like other video games, a light pack is basically a "scout". High dexterity, high movement speed, less supplies/firepower. A medium pack would be a soldier or the like. Medium support, medium movement speed. A large pack would be a "tank" (person). Slow movement speed, more supplies/firepower.

alright then, i agree. But the pack upgrades should either be found through careful exploration and investigation or be bought for a high price, or rare item

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Post  Linux_Makavrie Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:13 am

0rphanedpho wrote:
Daedalus_ wrote:
0rphanedpho wrote:

alright then, i agree. But the pack upgrades should either be found through careful exploration and investigation or be bought for a high price, or rare item
For my own input, I think that having three general categories, light, medium, and heavy available at the beginning, with say, two of them available to the "weaker" characters, but allowing your character to change this choice as they find new packs would work well. And having more varied packs. Bigger, more naturally slow characters would be less impacted by larger packs, and the "weaker" more agile characters would be moreso. As for saving, I don't like the idea of having to pay to save, it would really tick lots of players off if they made a lot of progress, but they didn't save because they were keeping their money for something big, and they had to suddenly leave. Maybe you could have credit things specifically designed to limit the number of times you save, with an auto-save feature designed to only work when the application closes improperly. Maybe "real" auto-saves would function when you slept at an inn. And the save credits would be earned by doing quests, or something. As for trading? Well, depends on how much society's fallen apart. I've been getting mixed signals on that. If it's completely fallen apart, and the gov's evacuating earth, as is currently suggested in the plot topic, currency would be out. If we had multiple sandboxish areas, each would have it's unique currency, or each individual person would have theirs. If there's still a government, currency would still exist, but, if wanted by other dev members, we could have currency be incredibly weak, and bartering would be more powerful.
Linux_Makavrie
Linux_Makavrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:34 am

I like those suggestions. What if you collect bullets throughout the game, and you can use bullets to trade with people, or use them in a few weapons as ammo.

Admin
Admin

https://ihsvgpd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Linux_Makavrie Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:43 am

Admin wrote:I like those suggestions. What if you collect bullets throughout the game, and you can use bullets to trade with people, or use them in a few weapons as ammo.
Yeah, that would actually work really well, since bullets would be in demand anywhere there are guns.
Linux_Makavrie
Linux_Makavrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum