IHS VGPD Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs

+3
GreenlightRJ
Admin
Daedalus_
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs Empty Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs

Post  Daedalus_ Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:41 am

Should we have a system of gameplay which focuses more on shear numbers of mobs than hitpoints (a classic zombie/braindead style), or focus more on hitpoints than mobs (which would mean that the mutant virus or whatever is being transmitted only prevents the brain from absorbing seratonin as well as alter physical appeareance), to make them into crazy but smart killing machines?

SCIENCE!!! >> Without serotonin, you would turn into a murderer: http://bit.ly/SGPC8X

Daedalus_

Back to top Go down

Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs Empty Re: Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs

Post  Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 am

I think a mix of both ideas for mobs would be good. Some enemies could come in hordes, while there are only a few others that a really strong

Admin
Admin

https://ihsvgpd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenlightRJ Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 am

Yay, twisting science for fantasy! The best part!

GreenlightRJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Daedalus_ Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 am

Well, I mean, ability to flank, charge, defensive manuevers, etc.

Daedalus_

Back to top Go down

Post  0rphanedpho Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:18 am

Admin wrote:I think a mix of both ideas for mobs would be good. Some enemies could come in hordes, while there are only a few others that a really strong

I like that, we could include packs of "grunt" mobs like mutated dogs which are later supported by giant, acid-spitting, mutated lizards, as well as individual "Tank" enemies like the Goblin, and also a mix of "medium" and "grunt" enemies.

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Post  Shiranui Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:29 am

what about bosses, would they come with minions or just the boss monster? or are we not doing bosses?
Shiranui
Shiranui

Back to top Go down

Post  0rphanedpho Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 am

I would like for us to have bosses, it'll be a bit of work because normally, bosses have their own soundtrack, AI, environment, etc. but it would be a great challenge for players to fight a giant-ass mutant monster thing and be like "WHAT???!?! I HAVE TO FIGHT THAT?!?!!?!? D:/ COME ON, TASTE MAH STEEL! >Very Happy!"

Also, I think the boss monster should have hordes of small minions as fodder to kind of nibble at the health of the player, and maybe some ranged and mediums, but never heavies, because they would make the boss battle nearly impossible.

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs Empty enemy abilities/names

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

0rphanedpho wrote:
Admin wrote:I think a mix of both ideas for mobs would be good. Some enemies could come in hordes, while there are only a few others that a really strong

I like that, we could include packs of "grunt" mobs like mutated dogs which are later supported by giant, acid-spitting, mutated lizards, as well as individual "Tank" enemies like the Goblin, and also a mix of "medium" and "grunt" enemies.

yeah me gusta
i think we should also have like different ability/strengths for each enemy. like for example the "mutated lizard" maybe one kind would spit acid and another has the like poisonous claws? and also i think they should have like difficults set in their names like "mutated lizard grunt" and "elite mutated lizard" and "mutated lizard tank" showing differentiation in skill/strength in the enemies (mutated lizard grunt being the weakest, elite having like stronger skills/abilities, and tank being slower but heavier attacks and/or higher defense

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs Empty maybe?

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 pm

what if we have it so that the protagonist doesnt want to fight? cuz the whole point the game is to get away from them right? so like gain XP or skill or whatever when youre able to dodge or avoid enemy and like if you are found out by the enemy he would signal/call all nearby enemies

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 pm

I think that Steven's on to something. Maybe we could have like two skill trees, one that you can advance by dodging and hiding from enemies, and another that you can advance by killing things.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 pm

So would there be stealth levels where the goal is to minimize fighting and escape along with the standard "fight your way" out levels?
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:19 pm

or i was thinking we could also like add a silent a way to attack enemies? therefore the protagonist can avoid large groups of enemies that might come when signaled.
and maybe those kills could count as more skill/xp

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Sounds a lot like Metal Gear all of a sudden. Smile
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Post  0rphanedpho Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I think what Steven meant is that there would be different options towards combat/avoiding combat. Like in Skyrim or Crysis, the player can choose whether to take out the enemies silently or just sneak around them to complete their objective, or they could just run right through them (every single one of them) in order to accomplish their objectives. They're two different paths to the same end.

0rphanedpho

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Yeah I know. I just said Metal Gear because the game let's you play as a trigger happy maniac or like a silent assassin depending on your moos as the player. It's just the first thing that came to my mind when avoiding fighting was brought up.
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Regarding Entities/Enemies/Mobs Empty yeah?

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 pm

yeah and i was also thinking like the different ways could have different consequences
for example
if u just run up to an enemy and start hacking away, then the enemy might alert others and so ull end up fighting multiple enemies with more a chance to get more skill/xp, but also have a higher chance of dying
but if u choose to avoid, ur would get less skill/xp, but much hight chance of surviving
and if u choose to silently assasinate, u would get more points than avoiding the enemy, but also if you fail to do so, you will face the same consequences as if u just straight up attacked him

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Yeah. Once again. That was what reminded me of Metal Gear. You kill a guy he screams and a security squad is alerted to your presence. But I'm getting off topic.

So we're having a dual power tree lvling up system. 1 for combat and another for successful evasion. Levels would provide a balanced environment allowing you to freely choose your method of attack/evasion. Problem is that we were hoping to limit the environment to small rooms or linear outdoor paths for ease of development. Having an environment for sneaking around is moderately large. But I'm sure we can compromise.
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21 pm

StrykerX49 wrote:Yeah. Once again. That was what reminded me of Metal Gear. You kill a guy he screams and a security squad is alerted to your presence. But I'm getting off topic.

So we're having a dual power tree lvling up system. 1 for combat and another for successful evasion. Levels would provide a balanced environment allowing you to freely choose your method of attack/evasion. Problem is that we were hoping to limit the environment to small rooms or linear outdoor paths for ease of development. Having an environment for sneaking around is moderately large. But I'm sure we can compromise.

so a power tree like this?
For attack:
[Downward Slash]

[Upward Slash] or [Downward Slash Lv.2]

[Upward Slash Lv.2] or [Downward Slash Lv. 3] or [Lunge]

For evasion:

[Increased Stealth]

[Increased Stealth Lv.2] or [Evasion]

[Increased Stealth Lv. 3] or [Evasion Lv 2] or [Assassinate]

and the player would be able to choose what skill to upgrade when they have sufficient skills

Last edited by Steven Yu <>< on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

IDK It was El Presidente that suggested the power tree to the Admin I believe. I'm not familiar with games that have a power tree lvling up system except for FFXIII and that one was useless IMO.
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

IDK It was El Presidente that suggested the power tree to the Admin I believe. I'm not familiar with games that have a power tree lvling up system except for FFXIII and that one was useless IMO.
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm thinking of a Skyrim type lvling system, where doing certain things would improve those things. So we could have two branches of a tree leveling system. If you use stealth and sneak past enemies, you could gain points for a stealth tree and use it for things like faster speed or quicker moves. If you attack well, you would get points for a different skill tree where you can level up strength and combat.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 pm

so like two completely separate trees?

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Possibly. It might allow for more skill and control over a particular play style, and force people to try out different things. That's just an idea though, I'm open for other suggestions too

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Yu <>< Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm

i think thats a good idea cuz then u can replay the game with a whole new style and possibly new outcome, making replaying the game more interesting

Steven Yu <><

Back to top Go down

Post  StrykerX49 Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 pm

I strongly oppose any strong RPG elements in our first game for ease of development. RPG's require reusable programming blocks for diversity and mostly involve branching storylines for replay value which means more 3d models are needed. I understand how it is appealing and believe that minimal story branching is manageable. Anything to ambitious would run us into the ground during actual production. The leveling up system can stay but storyline ambiguity is a big no. IMO
StrykerX49
StrykerX49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum